Wednesday, July 08, 2009

There comes that point in every teen's life when he realizes the world does not revolve around him. And that realization typically is delivered by a frustrated parent.

My moment occurred when I was 13, seconds after I said, “Like, right now?” when my dad asked offered to drive me to the store to buy a Mother's Day. It was an epic lecture, beginning with 14 hours of labor and ending with that day's mom-made breakfast of toaster waffles (his tone of voice made up for dwindling impact).

Recently, however, I was on the delivery end, completing the circle of life.

Seconds after my 14-year-old son and I disembarked the Durango-Silverton (Colo.) train after a three-hour ride through rocky canyons and along narrow ledges, he said, “OK, I have to say that was the most boring thing we've done on this trip, seriously. Really, dad, I am so happy to be off that thing.”

After a silent drive back to the vacation rental house, followed by a cooling-off period lest temper interfere with the message, my son and I had a talk. Perhaps it was more a lecture than anything else.

I mentioned all the things we had done based on his wishes — rafting, mountain biking, a jeep tour, etc. And it was all very enjoyable.

“I knew the train wouldn’t be your thing, but I was hoping two things,” I said. “First, that you would open yourself up enough to appreciate the amazing things we would see. And two, that even though this trip wasn’t for you, you’d see how much it meant to me, and gain some sort of respect for the way others feel.

“But the second you turned on your iPod and shoved in those earbuds, what, 10 minutes into the trip, I knew I’d lost you.”

Funny thing happened then. He apologized and in a soft, contrite voice told me the things he appreciated about the trip. As we talked, the mood warmed.

Of course more rough spots are ahead. But in helping my son become a caring, well-rounded individual, this was a nice start.

No comments: